Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Summer Excursion

Monterey. Monterey Bay. Monterey Bay Aquarium. Three distinct destinations, all wonderful places.

I’ve had the privilege of visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium twice this year. My daughter and son-in-law gave us a Christmas gift of a weekend in Monterey. When the time came to go back in February, my husband was so sick that he couldn’t possibly go. Being the good man that he is, he urged Michael and me to go and not to worry about him and so we did. That was a great trip and we had lots of fun

We came home full of impressions and pictures to share as well as some great news. A new exhibit was on its way to the aquarium featuring fresh water otters. The sea otter exhibit at the aquarium is wonderful and one of my favorite places to spend time. Anyone who knows us knows our true adoration lies with river otters and the like. My daughter and son-in-law decided they would plan another trip to Monterey sometime in the summer taking just my husband and me. We knew the otter exhibit would be in place by then and before I even left the place, I couldn’t wait to return.

On the first weekend of July, the four of us took off for Monterey. My son-in-law, Chris, did all the driving and that in itself was a treat. It was very nice to just look out the window and enjoy the sights; no worries, no hassles. We had a fabulous time. This was the first time we’d gone anywhere with them without children in tow. It was a unique experience to relate to our grown daughter and son-in-law as another adult couple separate from the mommy/daddy mode. The new exhibit was everything we were hoping for and more. My husband and I were in otter heaven and very pleased that the home for this little creatures was obviously well thought out and spacious. Yes, it’s a captive life but the inhabitants didn’t look unhappy at all.

We crammed a lot into that weekend. We ate lots of food, spent two days at the aquarium and visited plenty of shops in search of just the right souvenirs to bring back home. Here’s a picture of my husband, Jim, and me standing with a good friend in the front of a store where an otter fan can find anything they could possibly want...

It'll be a while before we return but we're looking forward to our next visit.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to have seen some photos of the otters.  Maybe next time?
You both look as happy as sandboys outside  the souvenir shop.  
Monterey?   I must look that up on Google.  
Welcome back to AOL Journals.

Jeanie

http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes

Anonymous said...

Is that great big otter sitting on your mantel now?  :D  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great place!
Lori

Anonymous said...

It was such a good time!!!!