Friday, May 21, 2004

Weekend Assignment No. 6

Ah, here's a subject I can warm to.  Carol was my best friend in second grade.  We were in Kindergarden together and remained best friends until I had to move away in the beginning of sixth grade.  She lived up the road from me and we played at her house almost 99% of the time.

It seems to me she had more interesting things to play with at her house.  This was fine with me because there were always bottles of Coca Cola to drink and there was a completely furnished den on the first floor of her house.  At our house, the basement was the first floor.  We spent hours down there watching old Tarzan movies (I was madly in love with Johhny Weissmuller) and playing "Soda Fountain" at the bar which was in the far corner of the room.  This bar really fascinated me because we had nothing like this at my house.  There was a huge stuffed deer head on the wall that held my fascination/revulsion for years, as well! 

If I remember correctly, we had only one major falling out in the five plus years of our friendship and it didn't last too long.  She was a great girl, lots of fun and always the most popular girl in the class.  As I was her sidekick, this often seemed to work out to my advantage.  We kept in touch for some time after I moved.  Many years ago, I found her address and we exchanged some cards and pictures.  We didn't keep it going, however, and are no longer in touch.  We may once again run into each other.  Who knows?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Johnny Weismuller grew up in my mother's neighborhood in Chicago.  Apparently, my uncles (my mom's older brothers) used to hang with him.  Are you jealous?  Lisa  :-]