Friday, May 28, 2004

Something's Missing!

I'm worried!  Yes!  What is our world coming to?  I fear an entire generation of young folk is going to grow up without ever experiencing the fun of watermelon seed spitting.  What happened to the seeds?  Where did they go?  Aren't those glossy, slippery black seeds part of the watermelon experience?  All I see, everywhere I look, is seedless watermelon.  There's something asthetically pleasing about the look of that deep pink/rosy red melon dotted with oval black seeds.  Is it gone forever?  Say it ain't so!

Good God!  What's next?  Seedless pumpkins?  A whole generation not knowing what it's like to feel the slippery sensation of a pumpkin seed flying across the kitchen floor while carving a Jack 'o Lantern?  I shudder to think!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny!!  Yes they do still exist!  We buy them all the time.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness for that.  Now I can sleep peacefully tonight!  LOL  I guess California is phasing them out.  Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I can't commiserate with you on this.  I have always HATED watermelon.   But I'm with you on the pumpkin seed thing...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

 I'm partial to seedless watermelon, but every child needs at least one adventure with digging them out and spitting them at your siblings. The day pumpkins no longer have seeds is the day I quit buying them. I leave the carving to everyone else, the seeds are MINE. Love roasted pumpkin seeds, yum.

Steph~
http://journals.aol.com/oblivionabyss/ItsaMadMadMind/

Anonymous said...

We spit them off the deck, where they grow in our cottage garden. We eat the pumpkin and other squash seeds.
love, Kas

Anonymous said...

Right on!  The color of the seedless watermelon is funky?  In our small town, we would have seed spitting contests.  All gone?  Enjoyed your entry.
See ya later,
Tammy "tj"
http://journals.aol.com/stamela40/LOVEBUG/

Anonymous said...

I'm with you.....Seeds today are like wrinkles. Nobody is supposed to have any.
; )