Wednesday, June 2, 2004

Why I Do This For A Living

It's easy enough to whine and complain about a job.  I believe I wrote about and posted something like this not too long ago.  Now I will tell you why I like my job and actually enjoy it most of the time.

I'm not exactly what you'd call a "people person" but I like the connection I have with the elderly, always have.  Even when I was a little girl, I had my network of old lady friends and used to make my rounds almost daily.  Now I find myself a very important part of many peoples' daily lives.  Their eyes light up when they see me and their brows furrow a bit deeper when I tell them goodbye as I leave for the day to enjoy my two days off.  I know that I'm possibly the one person who will make their day a better one, a little brighter.

I have an enormous amount of patience with my residents, more so than with my family.  I'm the one who will take time to really listen to them.  I'm the one who will do the "extra" little things that don't seem like much at the time but mean a great deal.  Does this sound somewhat smug and self-righteous?  Probably so but it most be so because I get told on a daily basis, "I'm so glad you're here.  Things just aren't the same when you're gone.  I wish I could keep you for myself."  Now, we all know that no one is indispensable but it sure is good for the ego to hear these things.

Many of these folks have a great sense of humor and have been fortunate enough to retain it despite their woes.  They love nothing better than to talk about their life experiences and quickly warm to any audience.  They have lived so long and seen so much especially considering the incredible changes that have taken place in the past 75 to 100 years.  One of my very special ladies who shares my birthday and, therefore a special kinship, talks about her family who came across the country from Kentucky in a covered wagon.  It's fascinating to hear these stories from someone who heard about it firsthand.

And, of course, there are those who are perfectly miserable and God himself could come here to try to take care of them and they'd still be unhappy and dissatisfied.  Never did that saying that includes the bit about "you can't please all the people all of the time" ring more true than here in this environment.  These are the folks who truly believe that nothing could be worse than where they are now.  They think the food they're served is terrible.  Our building is quite nice, the grounds and courtyard at the back of the building are beautifully landscaped, the apartments are light, spacious and fully contained but they see nothing positive in any of this.  We all bend over backwards to make everything as nice and comfortable as we can but it's never enough.  This isn't home and it never will be home and many never get past that.  Some adjust to this life and some never do.

The imp in me always wants to arrange a little field trip for these unhappy people.  I would take them to a convalescent hospital and let them take a little tour.  There's usually no choice of meals, most rooms have three, sometimes four, beds with nothing to separate them but a flimsy privacy curtain.  That's just for starters.  Everything is relative and it just might make a difference in their outlook when they return "home" and take another look around.  Emphasis on the might!

I feel good about the work I do.  I think it's important.  There are lots of rough times, but the good times outweigh the bad by far.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  As I look out over the small assortment of senior citizens residing in the facility in which I work, I am one of them many years hence.  We all are.  I believe it's very important to cater to and treat our elders with respect and the dignity they deserve for, if nothing else, having made it this far through the trials and tribulations of life.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I work with senior citizens, also.  I think a smile, hug, or you make my day is so much better than any other reward offered!  I am one of those that goes the extra mile to make sure they get what they need: get that extra little pat, hug or whatever they might want.  Most people in this line of work, don't care, or they do, but are so burned out that they are like a robot.  For every person that gives me a smile, hug, or a thanks makes up for the grumpy, noncontent, combative ones.

While I am at work, what keeps me from getting upset or overstressed is to think that this person is someone's mother, daughter, sister, brother, father, aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa, etc.  This could be me or a loved one; how would I want them treated.  So I do my best and go the extra mile.

I admire you, I know everyone under your care is very well taken care of and in the best hands possible.

God Bless You!!

Jan  

Anonymous said...

It is people like you who SHOULD be working in Assisted Living.  Unfortunately, there are not enough of you.  And the industry doesn't know enough to seek out and develop the right people.  They hire just about anyone who walks in the front door (if they can pass the criminal background and drug tests.) And then they pay them minimum wage to do a very difficult and often unrewarding job.  Kudos for you for loving your job.  I wish there were more of you.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

You really should feel good about what you do. I love the elderly. I have since I was a little girl.....so much to learn from them and they need love because inside those aging bodies is the young person they once were....just like you. The heart is forever young. God bless you for giving them what they need. Just look at their eyes, you will know what they need when you're not quite sure.

Anonymous said...

We have elderly neighbors that are a daily part of our life. Although they occasionally drive me a bit bonkers (right now a fence disagreement) we make sure that we carry their groceries in, sweep their sidewalks, bring in the paper, take down the storm windows and put them back up...I think it is important for the children to see that they are an integral part of our lives and neighborhood. I am glad that my neighbors are able to stay at home--on both sides of my house--because of the support all the neighbors give them (more than their own blood kin, actually, in "Uncle" Billie's case.