Monday, June 14, 2004

A Happy Day!

Yes, it's Flag Day.  Time to display our flag proudly which I'm quite sure many of us have been doing a lot more of in recent years. 

And in our house, it's a Happy Birthday day as well.  Today is my son's 16th birthday, one of life's many milestones in birthdays.  I wish for him much happiness and success in the year ahead and a secret hope that he'll begin to give his future some serious thought!  Time will tell.

By sheer luck, this day coincided with my normal day off so it's been a nice, mellow, laid back sort of day.  Of course, I made him a Birthday Cake of his choice which these days qualifies as a gift in itself because I rarely bake goodies for the family anymore.  No, I didn't turn into a wicked wife or mother; none of us need this stuff and it cuts a lot of fat and calories from all our diets.

His sister had today off as well and came by and swept us off to see Shrek 2.  Her treat!  That daughter of mine is really something!  The film was delightful.  I don't think I've laughed so much watching a movie in a theater since well, maybe not since seeing "Young Frankenstein" about 30 years ago.  And I think I'm in love with "Puss"!

As I was sitting in the dark theater with my two children, it occurred to me that to my recollection this was the first time we three have gone to see a movie together.  With such an age span between them, while one was eager to see a Disney movie, the other was more into "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".  Not much common ground in filmdom when dealing with a ten-year age span.  I was thinking, this is so nice.  It's times like this that having children and reaping the benefits of their wonderful companionship as adults (son is well on his way) makes all the hard, hard work of trying to be a good parent worthwhile.  This is the grand payoff.  I'm so glad they're here and that we all genuinely love each other in our family and get along so well. 

I'm not going to win the Pulitzer Prize.  I'm not going to invent some wonderful whatever to benefit mankind and I'm not, personally, going to save the world.  However, my husband and I have given this world two very fine people, both of whom I am very proud and honored to call my own.  Who knows what they'll do in years to come?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exuberant!  Great!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great family..

Anonymous said...

By having children, you make sure a bit of yourself is left behind when you go...they're your little slice of immortality.  It's nice that they're beginning to enjoy each others' company more.  Lisa  :-]