Monday, June 21, 2004

A Query

The Q-Ray Ionized Bracelet:

Is anyone out there familiar with the TV ad for this item?  It's a brilliantly crafted advertisement and most unusual because for all its catchy, enthusiastic wording, absolutely no information is disclosed about the product.  The first time my family saw this ad, we all looked at each other blankly and said in the words of the mom as the dad hauls out the famous "leg lamp" from its crate in "A Christmas Story, "but what is it?"

It's quite apparent this is being hawked as much more than a decorative bracelet.  There's a not so subtle allusion to some sort of "secret power" but no specifics.  Each time this ad pops up, my husband and I speculate on its purpose.  The last time I saw it, I paid rapt attention and noticed that all the folks extolling the virtues of their Q-Ray bracelets seemed to be incredibly upbeat and happy.  I remarked to my husband, maybe the simple act of wearing it produces a euphoria as if you were high on some sort of drug.  If this were the case, $19.95 (or whatever the price is) sure would be a cheaper way to go to achieve that goal!

My son went on the internet to check out the website for this product; once again, no information whatsoever was given.  I suspect this bracelet works in much the same way as copper bracelets that are supposed to relieve arthritis and crystals that, worn around the neck, provide one with some sort of energy.  I don't buy these products either figuratively or literally.  For all I know they may do wonders for some people but I think these things work because the individual believes they will.  It's the mind over matter approach which can be effective if a person truly believes.  What is really hard for me to understand is the amount of people who will spend their hard-earned money on a product about which they have no clue as to its function.

I will say, however, that it is an attractive bracelet with a simple, sleek design and maybe that's enough to satisfy the masses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't buy these products either figuratively or literally."  <<==great turn of phrase!  I liked this little rant!

Anonymous said...

I just went and looked it up and found an article by the FTC saying the bracelet company's claim that it relieves pain are false. So there you go. : ) You can get a bracelet like that on QVC or HSN that is just pretty and costs less. : )

Anonymous said...

You have a point on the "mind over matter" thing.  Many old home remedies worked for exactly that reason...there was no "medicinal" value that the modern medical community could ascertain.  My view is, if someone wants something to believe in, $19.95 isn't TOO high a price to pay...!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal and  leaving such a wellthought out response on a sensitive subject!  As your DH has told your son--when he is eighteen he can decide on his own to be circumsized if he so decides.  But it will be a decision HE made about his own body.  That is also why I don't pierce my baby girl's ears. I think it looks adorable, but thought they should decide whether or not they wanted ear rings...