Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Something New

I've discovered someting new in which I wish to participate:  http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/TheJournalJar/

Lots of fun, interesting questions.  Here's the first one.

Discribe your first job.  What did it pay? What were your duties?  What was your boss like?

I didn't start my first job until I graduated from business school and was sent on interviews to land a job.  My pay was $100/week.

I worked in a sales office for a regional sales manager of a tape company.  I answered the phone, typed and mailed letters for my boss and the salesmen who reported in to him via the phone.  I filed, operated a telex machine, ordered supplies from their warehouse in Chicago (I was in New Jersey at the time) for shipment to customers in the northeast part of the country and babysat a temperamental Xerox machine.

My boss was a kind, easy-going man named "Bud" and I seem to recall his real name was Hugo.  I worked for this man 33 years ago and I can still remember the look of astonishment on his face when I came to him in tears nine months into this job to tell him I was completely overwhelmed and couldn't handle it any longer.  He told me I had been doing a wonderful job and found it hard to believe I was having any problems!

A replacement was hired and I stayed long enough to train this woman who was older than I.  When I inadvertently discovered that she was hired at a substantially higher rate than I'd been making, it was my first hard lesson of disappointment in the working world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<it was my first hard lesson of disappointment in the working world.>

My career in the working world seems to have been a parade of one of these "hard lessons" right after another.  I was fired from my first real job after one month because there was upheaval in the department, and I was the only one who was not yet a union member (which would have kept me from being let go.)  Talk about a rough entry into the working world!  And things never really got any better...  LOL!  Lisa  :-]