Friday, January 6, 2006

Before I Move Forward, I Must Look Back a Bit

Our family had a wonderful holiday, wrapping up 2005 and welcoming 2006. Two thousand six. Imagine! The very sound of this year (as well as the past six) sounds so futuristic and unreal to me. It evokes expectations of space travel, space stations, colonization of other planets and beyond. Our current technology is very impressive and way beyond my feeble grasp, in general. Somehow, though, I expected something more. I blame watching too much "Jetson's", "2001, A Space Odyssey", and "Star Trek" et al in my younger years. I don't like the way our current year sounds when I say it. It doesn't roll off the tip of my tongue like all the "teen" years I've known since my birth. It's awkward but I'd better get used to saying 2,000-whatever 'cause that's all I'll be saying and hearing until the end of my days.

That being said, let's get on it with it, shall we? As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, my daughter and son-in-law hosted the Thanksgiving feast this past year and they did a great job of it. It was wonderful to be relieved of the work and related hassles to prepare dinner. My daughter was lucky because the guest list was greatly diminished from past years. This worked out well as it gave them the chance to get their feet wet. They planned the meal the way they wanted and didn't feel duty-bound to produce a replica of what my husband and I have put forth year after year. I admire this and it pleased me; however, I think my husband may have been harboring a worry or two about what would or wouldn't be served. He's quite the traditionalist when it comes to holiday meals. Myself? If I don't have to make it and it's served to me, I'm already loving it. My son-in-law offered two turkey choices to his guests, smoked or fried; the turkey, not the guests! They were both pretty tasty but I think I liked the smoked one better. Frankly, a nice little departure from the traditional roasted bird.

They both worked very hard and put a lot of effort into the holiday dinner. I think they enjoyed having the family at their house as well. I don't know who'll be serving up Thanksgiving dinner next time but it surely is nice to have another couple share the load.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one got ill, no one complained, people went for seconds.....we will do it all over agian next year!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your kids are taking up the torch at just the right time, and doing a great job of it.  I'm fifty years old, and we hosted only our fifth Thanksgiving dinner this past year.  Got started a little late; and I'm still not very good at it.  Left the cranberry sauce in the microwave until dinner was almost over...  Lisa  :-]