Monday, August 14, 2006

A Not So Happy Birthday

August 14, 2006. Today is my birthday. Today I turn 53 years old. All my life I have had the privilege of enjoying the celebration of my own special day. It has never been overshadowed by any kind of holiday (unlike my poor husband's birthday which falls two days after Christmas when everyone's tired, broke and had enough). Therefore, I'm a spoiled brat who is mourning the proper festivities of MY day, dammit!

Over the years, I've been wined and dined at fine restaurants, spent many birthdays camping at some of California's beautiful lakes and, more recently, we've spent the day at our special hot springs and my husband makes a fabulous lunch for us. This year, this time, my birthday is nothing more than another long day waiting for my youngest child to get well and come back home. This is the only gift I want for my birthday. By the way things look at this point and judging from the brief conversation I had with my son about an hour ago, it looks like I'll be getting the present I'm wishing for most...belatedly.

I have always looked and felt younger than my chronological age. I don't anymore. When I look at myself in the mirror these days, I realize with a mild shock that I look more like my actual age than ever before. This entire nightmare with our son has aged both my husband and me by what feels like ten years. We're so tired, so worn out, so emotionally played out. I hope this awful period in our lives will end soon.

An addendum: Wouldn't you know. My darling daughter and her family came to visit this evening with birthday cake, love, support and a great gift that I really needed. Details later. I thank the Gods that be for my wonderful daughter and her family and the love and support that they give so selflessly. This is why we have children!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs to the daughter for being such a loving support to her mom.  And I'm crossing my fingers that you get what you REALLY want very soon.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Oh...and Happy Birthday!  (duh!)  L:-]

Anonymous said...

Happy belated biirthday. Again, I am sorry that I just was reading your naturist journal (I don't recieve any alerts so I just hop around when I get a chance. ) I wish you much joy and healing this year.

Having held a dead baby of mine in my hands, I can tell you that it is the worst that can happen to a person to lose a child--or to deal with a serious illness. I wish I could hold you and hug you...

love, Kas