Monday, July 26, 2004

A Dream Realized--We're Living It! Chapter One

When I got married in 1974, my new husband took us on a fantastic honeymoon to Jamaica.  The following year, we made a trip to California to visit my brother and sister.  Hmm...this was becoming a great trend, an incredible vacation every year.  Alas, this did not continue.

Our vacation to California proved to be a catalyst in our future.  We fell in love with California, northern California particularly.  While visiting my brother who lives just north of San Francisco, we took a day trip further north up the freeway to the wine country.  Up to this point in our young lives, the only wine we had consumed was Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, jug wine such as Tyrolia (great at the drive-in!) and when we were trying to be very sophisticated, a white German wine like Zeller Schwarze Katz or something of that ilk.  Clearly, our palates were in need of some serious education.

Since this was around 29 years ago, I have no recollection of any wineries we visited or wine we tasted.  I do remember passing by a charming little town and thinking oh, wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to buy a little house here and live in the wine country.  Across from me in the driver's seat, my husband was having similar thoughts.  Unbelievably, this seemingly impossible dream evolved into reality for us with a few stops along the way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WISH we could have moved to my dream place, wherever that is.  We've owned five homes in 27 years, but none of them was in a place that I would call particularly wonderful.  I'm learning to like THIS town (Scappoose), though.  Hope it doesn't get spoiled by too much development in the next ten years...

Anonymous said...

I loved the little tale. And, seeing your dream come true. : )

Anonymous said...

Dreams do come true if you only believe in them!!  So happy your's did.

Jan

Anonymous said...

My husband worked in two different wine shops when we were in college...he loves the German Reislings the best, but he also loves the California wines, particularly the Merlots. He has always dreamed of traveling out through wine country.