Tuesday, July 6, 2004

A Happy Fourth

I hope everyone had a good holiday.  This year's celebration was very restful and laid back for us.  Usually we are the ones to host some kind of family gathering but this year was blissfully different.  My daughter and son-in-law had us and several friends plus assorted-aged kids over for a barbequed turkey dinner on Saturday evening.  The food and company were great and we had a marvelous time.

Sunday morning arrived and with it, the Glorious Fourth!  My husband and I spent the entire day doing not a whole lot of anything.  He made the two of us a wonderful dinner of shrimp and swordfish chunks on skewers, marinated in his homemade teriyaki sauce and grilled to perfection.  Our son who does not eat shrimp (!) had to work in the evening so I made a coule of hamburgers for him to eat when he got home.  After dinner as it began to get dark, my sister and her family and my daughter and her family came over to watch the fireworks.

Every year, our town puts on a pretty decent fireworks display.  We all troop over to the high school athletic filed to stake out our territory and settle back to watch the show.  This year, however, we were unable to do this because the entire field is in the process of being replaced.  The fireworks were set off from the field but no one was allowed on the field to watch the show.  I live fairly close to the high school so we just set up chairs in the backyard and hoped the fireworks would be high enough to be seen through our neighbor's trees.  Indeed they were and we enjoyed the brilliant display in more comfort than ever before with a glass of wine in hand.  Lovely!

My husband had Monday off as a paid holiday so we drifted leisurely through the day once again not doing a whole lot.  It was so nice to just kick back and do what we wanted when we wanted.  It was so nice to be relieved of the effort and responsibility of providing the family feast and entertainment this time around.  I send out a very sincere and public thank you to my very dear daughter and dear son-in-law for taking the reins this time around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S the way to enjoy fireworks!  Wish we could have done the same.  We could HEAR them, but we couldn't see them.  All that distant booming is kind of creepy...sounds like an invasion or something!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a peaceful relaxed holiday!   -Jan

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a holiday. : )

Anonymous said...

Our 4th and 5th were total chaos, ending with the trip to the ER. But the rest of the week has been blissfully quiet. I am refusing to leave my house for a few more days...