Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Election Day

At long last, Election Day has arrived.  The build-up to this day has seemed to go on for an eternity.  I have never been very politically active but acknowledge the importance of voting and trying to understand the candidates' positions, measures and issues on the ballot.  Also, as a woman I am very aware that it is doubly important to cast my vote.  A great many women before me had to go to great lengths and much suffering to secure the right to vote.  I feel duty bound to honor their perserverence and ultimate victory.

This evening, after work, my husband and I will go to our polling place and vote.  I want to say thank you to the journalists whose entries I read regularly for their combined political information, opinions and input in general.  I believe you know who you are and I've read your entries and ensuing comments with great interest over the past months.  Your collective passion is inspiring.  Your knowledge and grasp of the myriad of problems existing in our country, our world, is impressive.  Your opinions of same have served as a guideline of sorts for me.  Do I agree with all that you say?  Not necessarily but you've all provided much intelligent food for thought and I am sated for now.

This is the first time in my voting life that a presidential election has coincided with my own access to the almighty internet on a personal computer in the privacy of my own home.  I also want to thank you all for your caring, time spent, your insight and your fervor for a better, more knowledgeable take on the issues concerning our country and the world which affect us all.

Never before have I been privy to such an articulate outpouring of opinion concerning our political challenges.  I've made my choices and I'm ready to vote.  May the best man win.  I believe we're all agreed on who that should be.  Time will soon tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"may the bast man win..."  Maybe that was the problem.  There really WASN'T a best man this election.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Funny..I cared more about some of the measures on the ballot and one of our local elections "GO MIKE" than the presidential election! Perhaps I felt that there was no one I really wanted to see in the White House! We had many debates at work ( which I as a manger thought I should stay out of for my own part) and every one kept asking who was voting for who. To this day I have not told anyone whom I chose, I do however have everyone at work convinced that I put a write in for Ron Jeremy as my choice. My reasoning: If an ugly 200+lb man can accomplish all that he has ( not to mention some talents he is rummored to posses), maybe he should have a shot eh?