Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Red Jacket

Do you own a particular piece of clothing such as a shirt, a hat, a pair of shoes; something that makes you feel special when you put it on? I am not even close to someone who might be thought of as a clotheshorse but I can lay claim to such a possession and a recently acquired one at that.

I have never been a walking fashion statement and my closet is hardly a reflection of what’s hot--it’s mostly full of what’s not. I have clothes hanging in there that are older than my children. aged 26 and 16 respectively. How many people still have their high school jacket from 35 years ago? I grew up in an area where winters were very cold and waits at the bus stop were very long. This was a very warm coat and I found continued use for it as the perfect camping coat during our camping years when my kids were younger.

Probably 98% of my wardrobe is comprised of second-hand clothes. I have no problem and see no shame in buying and wearing second-hand clothes. This practice is at the top of the recycling pyramid to my way of thinking. The key is knowing what to look for. There are thousands of gently-worn clothes out there from which to choose at our disposal and the price is right. There are some articles of clothing still bearing a price tag, obviously never worn, that get thrown into the mix. Time and patience can uncover some wonderful treasures.

During one of my shopping expeditions during this recent Christmas season, I found myself in an Old Navy store. My daughter was kind enough to chauffeur me around on this particular day. Of course we had to stop here because this is one of her favorite stores. I wandered around the store with her, not paying much attention to much of anything. I hadn’t planned on doing any of my shopping there. I was merely killing time, waiting for my daughter.

And then I saw it! Across the crowded room, a bright cardinal red, fitted pea jacket was beckoning to me. I swear to you it was calling my name. "Come over here. Try me on. You know you want to". I was in a playful, holiday mood and had nothing else to do so I succumbed immediately, dashed over to the display where it was hanging and began to get acquainted with this woolen beauty. I felt of its material, I stroked its lapels and before I knew what was happening, darned if it wasn’t off the hanger and on my body. There I was, buttoning it up, tying the sash and grinning at myself in the mirror like a besotted idiot. This was one snazzy jacket and damn! if it didn’t fit me like a glove and look great on me. Oh yes, this was love of the worst kind, the material kind.

My daughter found me before too long and remarked, "nice coat, Ma. Why don’t you buy it?"

"Oh no!" came the automatic reply. "I can’t do that. I’m shopping for Christmas presents, not for myself."

"I’ll go in half with you" says she.

Hmmmm...that was a mighty tempting offer to dangle in front of me like the proverbial carrot. Nevertheless with great reluctance, I took off the beautiful, red jacket and hung it back on its hanger and returned it to where I’d found it.

My two children live in very close proximity to each other and are, I suspect, very good friends. Little birds from the same nest tend to communicate with each other on the side. Imagine then my surprise and the utter delight on my face when I opened a gift presented to me from my son on Christmas morning and found that very coat nestled within a nest of tissue. I was so pleased. This was a gift I never knew I wanted so much until I saw it. It fits me as if it were made for me. It provides the perfect degree of warmth on these very cold mornings we’ve been having. It’s stylish, gorgeous and new. It makes me feel happy, upbeat, colorful and very loved when I wear it. The warmth I receive from this coat transcends its material makeup. It’s a very special coat indeed and I’m sure I’ll treasure it for years to come. 

I recently said I don’t wish to look to the future and see where I’ll be but can’t you picture me, years from now, as a willing candidate as a member of the Red Hat Society?  All I need is a hat to match my coat.  This is a group of women whose inspiration is derived from the words of a poem entitled, "Warning" by Jenny Joseph.  Sounds like great fun to me!

http://www.wheniamanoldwoman.com/pages/348544/index.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way that you got it added immeasurably to the value of this coat.  Where it in good health, always!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise. How thoughtfull.........Kasey