Sunday, August 8, 2004

John's Weekend Assignment #18: Tattoo You

Everyone knows that for a long time now tattoos have become a fashion statement.  Personally, I think tattoos are fascinating...on other people.  I enjoy looking at them; some are truly beautiful, others leave me cold, clueless or both.

Off and on over the past several years, I've thought of getting one.  Actually, it would be closer to the truth to say I've often thought of "the idea" of getting a tattoo.  I have a good friend who designed a tattoo for herself and had it put on the outside of one of her ankles.  She went through quite a long period of dealing with a painful burning sensation.  Maybe this was a typical reaction.  I know she didn't go to some fly-by-night tattoo parlor.

Whenever the idle thought of being pricked with sharp needles and allowing permanent ink to be shot into my skin drifts into my brain, the memory of my friend's experience comes back to haunt and deter me.  I know it's a stereotypical prerequisite but I know I'd have to be thoroughly intoxicated before I let anyone come near me to begin the procedure.  A real concern would be that I wouldn't be in very good control of the situation if I were drunk and what if, God Forbid!, I ended up with the wrong design permanently etched on my flesh for the rest of my life?

But this assignment specifies that I have to get a tattoo!  I would get a pair of beautiful fairy wings put on my upper back over my shoulder blades.  Even though they'd be one-dimensional, the idea would be for them to look as if they had  grown there.  I'd want them to be lovely shades of green and complementary colors with an iridescent shimmer added.  I don't know, can some glitter be mixed in with the ink?

I'd want this design for a tattoo because I think it would be pretty and I like to fantasize about being a winged, fantastical creature of some sort.  I think of myself as more of a water nymph which doesn't have wings but it's my tattoo and my fantasy so why not?  These aren't quite right but I was thinking about something like this ~

                

My second tattoo (yes, in my state of self-induced drunken delirium I'd want to get the whole job done at once) would be a small one of my most favorite animal in the world, a river otter.  I would have this put on the right side of my chest somewhere in the vicinity between my collarbone and top of my breast.  Perhaps something like one of these ~

                           [Various pictures of river otters.]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'd better start saving my "pin money".  This all looks like I'll be needing a lot of ink!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the wings idea you have!  They sound really pretty and the visual I got is amazing!  

Just so you know, any good tattoo artist won't do a tattoo on someone who is drunk, it thins the blood and chances of bleeding are greater.

Not to ruin your fantasy or anything!  i'm too chicken to get one, also.

Jan

Anonymous said...

LOL  Thanks, Jan.  Well that caps it; now I know I'll never get one!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so chicken that it never even crossed my mind. At least, you thought about it! : )

Anonymous said...

I have wanted the same thing for years, and years...and I would get it on my ankle so it could be covered if needed and not in the way. I think that it will have to be a gift from my spouce, as I could never pay to have someone inflict pain on me!

Anonymous said...

Both of your ideas are lovely.  I personally wouldn't get a tattoo--even having ink on my hands bugs me. ROFL  I LOVE otters, too, a few months ago I posted a What Animal are you? Quiz and I was an otter. :-)

Anonymous said...


that's soooooooooo cool! i'm looking for a new tattoo idea & came across you. the coolest thing about it- i LOVE LOVE LOVE river otters and am planning on getting fairy wings on my back and an otter on my leg maybe! looking for a lighthouse tattoo, too.........