Friday, August 27, 2004

Weekend Assignment #21

Weekend Assignment #21: Everyone had a subject in school they like better than all the rest. What was yours? And what's the most memorable thing you learned?

Alternate Assignment: If you can't think of a specific class or subject you liked the most, which grade of school has the best memories

For this assignment, I'll combine all three elements from the two assignments.

Without question, my most memorable class was my English class in my sophomore year of high school.  My teacher was a lady named Jean McGoff who brought a wave of energy and fresh enthusiasm to the classroom every day for the entire year.  Here was a teacher who made learning fun!  I remember looking forward to her class every day--a bright light in the dreariness of school.

Tenth year English was, among other things, a Shakespearean year.  We read Julius Caesar and Macbeth.  We all took turns reading different parts which was very entertaining and a lot of fun.  This class was a wonderful change from the usual "you sit there and listen while I talk and talk and talk" class.  Throughout school, English was my favorite class.  It was never a hardship to learn spelling, grammar, read books or compose stories.  I usually enjoyed it thoroughly.

My junior year in high school holds the most memories for me.  I had a tight little circle of girlfriends, a steady boyfriend, a booming social life full of dances, movie and dinner dates.  Life was wonderful and I was so happy.  This was the year I was on the Honor Roll for all four grading periods.  I cruised through that year like a breeze.

The most memorable things I learned in school have nothing to do with academics.  I learned that it's possible to keep friends for a lifetime whom you met in school.  I learned that one never quite gets over always having been one of the last or The last to get picked for a team in gym.  I learned that if you were a quiet, shy person, you were often labeled as "stuck-up" or a "snob" when neither were necessarily true.  Most of all, I learned it was entirely, absurdly possible to meet one's partner for life in such a mundane place as the high school cafeteria.

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love your Scalzi assignments.  You still can write a mean--I think we called them "themes" then!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mumsy!  Thank you.  This is high praise, indeed.  And I have to tell you, I was ~this~close to using the word "theme".  I suspect we may be kindred spirits!

Anonymous said...

Again, your entry reads much like my own might.  Except the part about meeting one's life partner in high school.  I was as far from that as humanly possible in high school.  Didn't start dating until I was eighteen--out of high school entirely.  How is it, then, that I managed to meet my life's partner at twenty?  Lots of water under the bridge in two years....  Lisa  :-]