Saturday, September 18, 2004

At Last!

Weekend Assignment #24: Tell us what the first song was at your wedding reception and why you chose that song. If you're not already married, tell us the song you would like to have played first at your wedding reception. Also, for the purposes of this assignment, those of you who have had commitment ceremonies can join in the fun (it's that whole "we're going to spend the rest of our lives together, and now we're going to dance" thing).

The music we had at our wedding reception was so forgettable that I had to think for quite some time about this assignment.

Our reception was held at a beautiful, well established historic inn which provided wonderful food and great ambiance.  This restaurant happened to be owned by my oldest sister's in-laws, no mere coincidence.  Her husband worked there for years and she was the dining room hostess for many years.  When the time came to plan my wedding reception, it was only logical that it be held at The King George Inn.

My parents and I sat down with the gentlemen who handled reservations for receptions and such and he recommended a band whose talent we could rent for the evening.  I couldn't tell you the name of this band if my life depended on it.  I faintly recall a group of musicians outfitted and seated much like something of the Glenn Miller Band genre.  (It wasn't this band; of that I'm certain!)

The majority of guests at our reception were extended family members and their families, a mature crowd.  The music provided was danceable and featured the classic band numbers.  This was fine with me.  Neither my new husband nor I were much into dancing at this point in our lives.  Most of the time whiled away at school dances was spent in some secluded area, talking.

We never had a particular song that became "our song".  Heaven knows we listened to enough music together but somehow no special song ever captured us.  My mother pointed out that we needed a song for our first dance as Mr. and Mrs. to play out to our beaming guests.  My parents had quite an extensive collection of 78 rpm records (antiques!).  This collection became the source that provided me with the perfect song for my evening of evening. 

Tony Martin

The name of the song was, "At Last, At Last" sung by Tony Martin, pictured above, who had a wonderful voice.  I doubt anyone today recognizes the song or the artist.  It suited our need quite nicely, however.  The song was in waltz-time which was a major plus because we were a far cry from Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  The only part of this song I can recall now is the beginning which goes:

     "At last, at last you're in my arms; you're in my arms where you belong".

This was, indeed, most appropriate because we felt we had waited an eternity to get married.  Looking back from here, it doesn't seem so terribly long but five years does seem like forever to the yearning, burning desires of two people who want nothing more than to be together till the end of their days.  Sadly, I have never heard this song played anywhere since that magical evening so long ago but I can recreate it inside my head whenever I wish.  That's a bit of magic as well.

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this song!  How cool.  but this is even cooler:
"I can recreate it inside my head whenever I wish.  That's a bit of magic as well."

I so love dramatic exits.
~~mumsy

Anonymous said...

Well I know. Scary to know I know who Tony Martin is. LOL! : )
Try amazon.com and see if they have the song. : )


Anonymous said...

Everybody's coming up with these romantic stories.  I don't remember who the band was that played at my wedding. And I SURE don't remember the first song.  Got pictures, though, so there must have been one...!   Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Awwww

danielle