Thursday, September 30, 2004

Stories Retold

In this rush about, ever changing world, it's reassuring to experience occasional moments that give us a sense of continuity.  Change is a constant and remains one of the few things on which we can rely.

The arrival of grandchildren brings a nice touch of continuity to one's life.  My granddaughter is almost four and a half years old and lately I've been reading bedtime stories to her from one of the same books I read to my daughter.  This book has been around a very long time.  It was given to me by my Godmother when I was three; obviously, my mother read the stories to me.  Now this collection of little bedtime stories has found a new audience in a third generation listener.  I find this comforting and pleasantly familiar.

I enjoy reading out loud to a receptive audience.  Like everyone else, I've discovered many stories that appeal both to me and small children.  When my son was very young, a close friend of mine gave him a book I'd never heard of before.  The title alone was a kick:  "A Capital Ship" or " The Walloping Window-blind".  This is a poem written by Charles Edward Carryl.  http://theworld.com/~dduncan/poetry/capitalship.html  My son asked me to read this book to him constantly and got to the point where he could recite it in its entirety.  One day, I discovered that the phrasing of the words fit perfectly to the tune of the theme song from "Gilligan's Island".  This put a whole new spin on the book and made it even more entertaining.  My son is now a big, burly 16-year old but he still stops long enough sometimes to listen when I sing it to his little niece.

It's very gratifying to read the same stories you enjoyed as a child to a child or grandchild of your own.  It's been my experience that I still love the books and stories I read or had read to me when I was a little girl.  It's a simple, readily available, inexpensive way to carry on a fond memory and, hopefully, help instill the beginning glimmer of the concept of the joy of reading at an early age.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Journals!  LOL!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

At the moment, your journal. : )  I love your tradition. I love books for children. I started my first granddaughter with books at two or three and she has read tons. It's very important. I have six grandchildren and all five girls are readers.....The boy is another story. Sports, sports, sports! : )
Angela

Anonymous said...

We read out loud almost all day long...for pleasure I am reading a book written by a friend of mine Jack Kerley called the Thousandth Man, and the non-fiction book I am reading (which I will review on my journal) is called Lies my Teacher Told Me, which is about how history has been changed in text books (like the fact that they do not mention Columbus kidnapped some native Americans and took them back as prisoners)...