Monday, September 6, 2004

School Dazed

It's not necessarily so in many areas of the country these days but Labor Day was always the death knell of a seemingly endless summer when I was growing up as well as the harbinger of the First Day of School.  It was never my favorite holiday.

When I was a kid, the preparation leading up to that first day was a major ordeal.  New clothes and shoes were obtained and the wonderful opportunity to buy new supplies for classes presented itself.  I can't say why but I loved putting all this stuff together for a new school year and even now, I love to see stationery supplies all neatly laid out, ready for use.  I would hazard a guess that this ties in with my love of words and writing.

As I grew into higher grades, it would take me forever to finally decide upon what to wear for that oh, so important first day of school.  First impressions meant a lot; even back in those days I was well aware of this fact.  Where I grew up, new fall clothes for the fairer sex usually consisted of skirts, sweaters, long-sleeved blouses and tops and dresses.  Most of these were usually made from substantial material to help keep us warm through the autumn, winter and early spring months.  A lot of the school year was spent in cold climate; however, the first day of school never was and the new outfits never matched the weather.  Sheer feminine vanity allowed us to brave any weather that nature tossed our way and we dealt with it accordingly.  These were the days when there was actually a dress code which was strictly adhered to and we were expected to come to class looking presentable and ready to receive some education; not looking like a seething mass of raging hormones looking for someone, anyone, to set our hearts and bodies upon.

Our one major rebellion to this code was wearing ridiculously short dresses that barely covered the cheeks of our bottoms.  We girls spent our entire time in class trying to pull our hemlines closer to our knees to no avail.  This was before the advent of pantyhose; woman's best friend and man's nightmare.  The predecessor to this marvelous invention was a girdle fitted with garterbelt-type hooks with which to fasten standard, mid-thigh stockings.  Talk about a bunch of little Lolitas trotting about the place! I wondered for the longest time why the lower stairwell in the middle of the school was such a popular hangout for the guys.  Wouldn't the option of being able to wear pants provide a bit more decorum, not to mention an aid to keeping warm.  It was pretty damned cold standing in a foot of snow, waiting for the bus, while Jack Frost was nipping at your hose!

It wasn't until my junior year that girls were allowed to wear slacks.  Wouldn't you know it, pantyhose came into being just a year previously.  They had to be nice, dress slacks or pants that were part of a pantsuit.  Remember those?  No one wore jeans, neither girls nor boys, ever.  I suppose this sounds incredibly harsh, outdated and controlling by today's standards (?) but having a code by which to dress taught us how to dress properly to match the occasion and it didn't kill us.  I know I'm getting old when I view with some distress what young girls are wearing to school these days.  Skintight, worn on the hips jeans, barely-there, high midriff or halter tops or minisculely there sleeveless little numbers with straps the width of vermicelli are not articles of clothing conduscive to giving rapt attention to the education being offered.  Oops!  Pardon me, my age is showing.  I can just see my husband shaking his head in disbelief as he reads this.  It would never occur to him or any other male that perhaps wearing revealing clothing all the time isn't always a good idea.  This is probably yet another fundamental difference between the mindworks of men and women.

These are just a few of my memories of school days.  Yes, the first day of school was the best day.  The second best was the last day.  It was always a long haul between the two.

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that hard to believe... it being tiresome for you throughout the school year.
such a good student, I'm wagering!  or were you bored by not being challenged enough?
I couldn't agree more on the clothing issue, so I am sure my age is showing-- although my hippie days echo in my ears as well.  I just know now (being a teacher) that clothing is way too much on people's minds.  What I wouldn't give for a uniform--to know what to put on in the morning.  Wow, that'd be heaven.
So much changes in our lifetimes.  I'd have been rolling my eyes at this entry not so long ago.  Or perhaps it was a while back.
~~mumsy
One of the things I think editors watch is whether you update a lot and include images or sounds or links or whatever extra baggage.  Good writing isn't always (or ever?) the deciding factor, I've noticed. (and I read the ed's picks faithfully.)
So keep updating often.  I, for one, choose you #1 of many of my alerts!

Anonymous said...

When I was a freshman, our parents were able to sign "dress code waivers" if they wanted their kids to be exempt from the dress code.  My dad did so, chiefly because he hoped we would STOP wearing those short skirts you described, and opt for pants or jeans.  Which we did.  The following year, the dress code was completely abolished, and it was pretty much anything goes after that.  AND, I have to admit, we dressed pretty slutty.  "Braless" was the style...I remember wearing band-aids over my nipples so they wouldn't show through white blouses!  LOL!  And the hot pants, and the halter tops, and the skin-tight "body-suits" with hip-hugger jeans.  Some of the stuff the kids are wearing now is RIGHT out of the seventies.  I want to say, "Hey, get your own look!"  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Never allowed to wear slacks in our school. Well, one year because of a blizzard, we were allowed to wear slacks for one day that week!
Thanks for sharing your memories.
Angela

Anonymous said...

Now from the younger generation here, I have to admit that even I who only graduated in 96 am taken aback by what I see the teens wearing to school. tops modled after lingerie and skirts that double as underwear are not exactly what I think 14 year olds need to wear. And this doesn't apply to teens either, my daughter ( the posters grandaughter) wears a size 5Tor a 6 and this year I had to buy her a used bathing suit as I was NOT able to find her one that was not a bikini! Last year she had a tankini ( tank top style and little shorts and only about a half inch of belly showed if the had her arms up) but this year even those were out! I saw lots of little bikinis and even several with string backs. I think this is not okay for little ones ( she is 4 going on 5) not too mention that small children do not do well with tons of sun exposure, they burn easy!. And several shirts in her size are cropped and the jeans in her size are stretch or low waist and have sayings on the bottom like "cute girl" or "hottie"....I just don't think that any 4 or 5 year old can yet be difined as a "hottie". I fear that when my daughter turns 13 she will have an army consiting of her grandfathers, uncle, step father, bio father and older brother trying to dress her in burlap and chasing away any boy that may come her way...maybe thats not such a bad idea :)

Anonymous said...

Why is it that so often " revealing clothing" is worn by those who you would rather see covered up and those who have the kind of body you wish to be revealed wear clothing that covers up? After all, I like you best when totally "revealed