Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Bittersweet

This has been a bittersweet day. When my daughter called on the phone this afternoon and I heard little-girl misery emanating from a grown woman's voice, I knew something was amiss. She called to tell me they had to put their dog down who's been suffering lately from pancreas and kidney-related problems. This is not my daughter's first experience with dealing with the untimely but necessary demise of a beloved animal. That fact doesn't make what happened today any easier. She and my son-in-law loved this dog. Today is their second wedding anniversary. Next to my own wedding day and the birth of my two children, two years ago today was one of the happiest days of my life. How very sad that such a thing should have to happen on this, of all days.

I feel bad for poor Brody but I know he had a wonderful, much loved life with his adopted family who rescued him from the local animal shelter. They had him for less than a year but it was a much happier life than the one he was experiencing penned up in a cage waiting......waiting for someone to take him home. My daughter and son-in-law are very kind, thoughtful, loving people and I empathize with the grief I know they're feeling this day. The loss of a beloved animal is very real and can be quite profound. It is times such as this that I sometimes wonder why we continually set ourselves up for losses such as these which are inevitable when we bring animals into our home. Their lifetimes are much shorter than ours but they offer and provide so much love, companionship and, often, blatant amusement that it's more than worth it.

No one ever said life was easy. It certainly isn't. To you, M and C, I want you to know how sorry and sad I am about what happened to your Brody. My heart aches for you both. I know you will find solace and comfort in one another and rejoice in your mutual happiness that you each found a mate to help get through a difficult time such as this. Alas, life deals out many of them. I love you both very much.

For an update of the cause of Brody's sudden ailment please click on this link:

http://www.geocities.com/cdmmw@sbcglobal.net/Brody.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do sometimes wonder why we keep getting more animals, given that we are bound to lose them at some time.  But I can't imagine our lives without them, either.  I like to think I have been a decent "mom" to some little souls who might not have fared as well in this life without us...  My condolences to your daughter and her husband.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Brody had been adopted and returned, twice. he was "too much too handle". What do you expect from a 70 lb 1/2 lab 1/2 St Bernard. Brody was too big for us, and not what we had set out to get...but he was perfect. He was sweet and loving and was very much loved by us. He was a perfect match, he loved food, sleep and good company. He was stubborn and sociable. I think in his almost year with us, he never got it thru his head that he wasn't allowed on the couch. I wish now I had let him. He was a wonderful friend, and a great "child". Brody isn't hurting anymore, and he is missed, and still loved.