Thursday, June 9, 2005

My Head May Be Full of Words But Sometimes There's Nothing to Say

A vicious circle; well, maybe not so vicious as enlightening and I have discovered one. There's no time to write entries when we're busy with life. Yet, there's nothing much to write about if we're not busy with life. Why, it's a downright ephiphany.

I've kept my journal going for more than a year and realize that like so many things i life, its content has become cyclical in nature. We usually experience the same events around the same time each year. Holidays, birthdays and special occasions roll around on cue on a regular basis. Once we've shared our memories or told our litttle stories and anecdotes, there's not much left to write about. This could be the reason why many journalers fade quietly into the sunset, abandoning their journal for someone to discover and click on at a future date and wonder why this person stopped adding entries...one, three or twelve months ago. This might be why the number of entries in heretofore regularly-fed journals may be less.

These journals which we created with such enthusiasm and loving care can become demanding taskmasters at times if we let them. The pressure to think up and create entries on a regular basis can weigh heavily upon us. It's difficult, though challenging, to come up with scintillating subject matter about which to write an interesting entry. I don't know about anyone else, but my daily routine is hardly full of exciting madcap adventure to parlay into fodder for my journal. I have no desire to fill it with the mundane play-by-play description of my life. In fact, I've made a conscious effort all along to avoid doing so at all costs.

Then there's always the matter of avoiding that dreaded demon of writing and conversation--repetition! I'm already at the age when I sometimes wonder if I actually said something to someone or did I just think that I meant to say that something. Or perhaps, I wrote about it to someone, somewhere but was it in my journal or was it sent along to the person I meant to contact and so on and so on, ad nausem. Yes, indeedy! I can drive myself crazy very nicely; don't need much help from anyone else.

I guess the bottom line is that occasional lulls are to be expected in the Journals of J-Land. That won't keep me from checking back once in awhile on my favorites to be sure I haven't missed something. Can't always rely on those alerts, you know.

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you stop writing, Meredith!  I need to hear from you now and then.  I feel we are kindred spirits in a lot of ways...  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

HELLO...I FOUND YOU ON FRANKIE'S JOURNAL...THAT IS SO TRUE ABOUT THE ALERTS...I HAVE NEVER BEEN ALERTED ONCE FOR MANY WRITERS I TRULY WANT TO READ! FROM...

Anonymous said...

I like your epiphany!  However, somehow I feel compelled to find something to say daily, whether real life that day has been busy and fraught or slow and routine.  The trick is finding something other than the play-by-play to talk about. I suspect you're good at doing this, so I'll try to stop in again. - Karen