Monday, June 20, 2005

Green Reflections

                                  Green Reflections

The voice was soft and inviting. The words were alluring and seductive. The lips that spoke them were well formed and sensual. A hand reached out and caressed my cheek. A veritable feast for the senses was inches away from my face awaiting my response. I turned to face the man from whose lips these soul felt words were coming. I beheld a pleasing countenance and as I lifted my eyes to look into his, I found myself gazing at large, emerald-green eyes. Eyes that were a beautiful dark green and mesmerizing in their intensity. Eyes full of laughter and light that were the shade of a spring-fed lake whose surface sparkles with brilliance when the sun’s rays dance across the water.

It was at this exact moment in time when I abandoned my formerly preferred warm hues of yellow and orange and adopted green as my absolute favorite color. If the windows of this man’s soul were such a gorgeous shade of green, surely this was a positive indication of the kindness of the soul which dwelt within. When these lovely green orbs shone on me, I willingly–wholeheartedly–dove deep down into them emotionally to swim for an eternity in an ocean full of love. My awareness of the many shades of green in my world became sharper. I found myself gravitating more and more to the subtle shades of this lovely color when color was an option of an object or article of clothing I was considering for purchase.  Green is such a soothing color; cool and calming. It’s no small wonder it and its many shaded variations is one of the most extensively used colors in nature’s palette.

The grass-green lawns, plants and the leaves on the trees help to sustain me with their exchange of oxygen for carbon dioxide. The shade from the green leaves on the trees serves as a shelter to seek protection from the sun on a hot summer day. The sight of pleasing shades of green from a variety of trees acts as a refreshing balm to help soothe my soul when I need to seek escape and relax from a difficult day’s bombardment of trials and tribulations. The majestic, deep green firs and pines in the woods, their fresh piney scent evident in the gentlest of breezes, fill me with a sense of wonder and renewal. It is in a place such as this I feel a connection with my creator. The green canopy of leaves which forms from a myriad of branches rising up to meet the sky is more conducive for my meditations and prayer than within the confines of any man-made church.

Yes, green is my favorite color above all others. The beauty of the color green surrounds me in our wonderful world. I love the sight of distant hills covered with carpets of brilliant green grass. I know the deep dark green of vegetables such as broccoli, spinach and kale. I love to see bright green moss, so velvety soft to the touch, growing on tree trunks. I thrill to the seafoam green of ocean waves crashing on the surf. I find serenity in the tranquility of rivers and streams turned liquid green from plant life which thrives within them. I recall my mother’s expressive, ever-changing eyes when I see something that is aquamarine in color. Hers were those wonderful kind that changed from green to blue to grey depending upon what she wore.

My preference for the color of green became even more firmly established when the permanent color of my first born child’s eyes was revealed. The recessive green gene of my husband’s emerald-green eyes transcended the dominant brown of my own to produce a green-eyed daughter. Considering the science of genetics, I have always considered this to be a small miracle and one of life’s greatest gifts to me.

                        

Overhead

This is my entry for consideration in Judithheartsong's June Artsy Essay Contest:

http://journals.aol.com/judithheartsong/newbeginning/entries/1469

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful entry!!! Well-done and I am so glad that you chose to write. Green ~ Yum:):):) judi

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with truly green eyes.  I always thought it was a color made up for romance novels...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I HATE GREEN!

Anonymous said...

nice essay..goodluck! ;-)
Journally Yours,
Gem ;-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your entry!  Good luck.

Now, you must tell me, what does ANOTHER COUNTRY HEARD FROM mean?  Is that something from  the United Nations?

My daughter-in-law's grandmother says that every time one of the girls cries or laughs loudly!!

http://journals.aol.com/cyndygee/TheRealWorldofcyndygee

Anonymous said...

I too was thrilled when my daughters eyes faded from new born caucasion blue to a gorgeous green :) And I am thrilled to have married a green eyed man as well.

Anonymous said...

    Another fan of the color green !!  This is beautiful.  I also married a green-eyed man, and had a green-eyed daughter. ( and a redhead, to boot ! ) Lovely...Tina

Anonymous said...

I love your entry! I had a hard time picking one single color, green was one of my top three choices with summer here and all...I love summer, it is so vibrant with colors.

Good luck to you.

LeAnn

Anonymous said...

very beautiful....