Monday, May 23, 2005

Movie Memories at the Drive-In

BAY02.jpg 23.16 K

In a recent entry I wrote about an experience at a drive-in movie which struck a nostalgic chord with at least one person who read it. Despite the fact that I grew up in a very rural area, there were five theaters within a 30-minute radius from our house. Luckily for us, one of them was a drive-in theater.

I loved going to the drive-in, but not for the instantaneous assumption that most people associate with dating and drive-ins. Oh, I'm sure there was lots of major necking, groping, bumping and grinding going on in many a vehicle sporting the telltale sign of steamed-up windows which frequently resulted in awkward or accomplished sexual gratification. I'm also sure this was probably the only place where many young couples could find the opportunity to explore and pursue one of the great mysteries of life. As for me? I was never one for sexual escapades in a car and was most fortunate to have access to more comfortable surroundings. But I digress.

Going to the drive-in to see a movie was wonderful. You could wear the most casual clothes possible. This was a plus because I come from a time when even young people made an effort to look presentable for something as simple as a movie date. You could bring your own snacks and bypass the snack bar. You could talk to each other to your heart's desire without disturbing anyone. You could bring a cooler full of your own drinks. Why, you could even smuggle in your own alcohol which, of course, wasn't legal and I must confess I plead guilty to this one. Our palates weren't very sophisticated back in those days which explains why our usual choice of illegal swill was a jug of Tyrolia. Remember the little jingle?  "Drink, drink, drink Ty-roe-lee-a!" And we did, too, while watching some of the most bizarre films I've ever seen in my film-watching experience.

I don't remember everything I saw at this drive-in but I know we saw "Barbarella", "Heavy Traffic", "Flesh Gordon", "Kentucky Fried Movie" and most dreadful of all, "The Exorcist". Watching this particular film was especially memorable; this film was so nasty, I went out of my way not to see it. I had a pillow which I held up to the windshield, blocking the screen so that all I could see was the top five inches of that screen. That was enough; I wished to see no more.

The advent of cable TV, the VCR and the availability to rent copies of movies was the death knell for the drive-in. Why bother climbing into the car and going out when the very same advantages to going out were available right here at home sweet home. I enjoy the marvelous convenience of being able to watch any film I wish in the comfort of my own living room but I'm sorry that the payment for that privilege was the almost total demise of the drive-in theater business and all the unique pleasures it had to offer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only saw one or two movies at the drive-in in my life.  I had NO desire to copulate in a car (husband and I finally did it a couple of years after we were married just to say that we did...and, yep--it sucked!)  Never had a problem with going to the theater to see a movie...we didn't dress up much, since we usually went with as a bunch of girls.  Now?  I'd just as soon rent one as go to the theater.

Kentucky Fried Movie!  We saw that!  Talk about a TERRIBLE movie!  We still use it as the standard of terrible to which to compare any movie we see.  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

I loved your entry on the Drive-In. Back in my day it was a date place most of all because it was affordable for most of the kids my age.  I also would go with a bunch of my girlfriends and we would all have the best time usually making fun of the movie we were watching. Then of course we would gossip too about who was here with whom.  We have a Drive-In still in operation in my city and I'm so glad because now our grandchildren can enjoy the same fun we had watching a movie in our car.  So thanks for the memories, I enjoyed them so much.
Jan

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh yes.....the good old drive-in.  A great experience for all the reasons you listed.

Ana

Anonymous said...

We are going to the drive in on Tuesday night with the homeschool group---if it doesn't rain, that is.  We still think it is great fun.