Thursday, May 19, 2005

Weekend Assignment #60: Your Star Wars Moment

"The Empire Struck Back"?!

Like thousands of others, my husband and I stood in a long line back in 1977 to see "Star Wars". We lived in San Francisco at the time and were not parents as yet. We were hooked instantly and swept away into that intriguing galaxy far, far away and couldn't wait for the next installment of the continuing adventures of Luke, Leia et al.

By the time "The Empire Strikes Back" came to the silver screen, we'd moved out of the city and had a very young daughter. Theaters and very young children are not a good combination so we packed outselves into the car and drove to the local drive-in to see the second installment. I didn't see much of the film that night and it was quite some time before I finally got around to seeing it uninterrupted. Where was I during the drive-in showing? I was caught in a continual loop between the snack bar and the restroom with my toddler.

As all mothers know, beginning with their first pregnancy one learns where every single restroom is located within a 25-mile radius from home. This is most helpful for future reference when the baby arrives. It's even handier when that baby grows into a toddler who develops a unique fascination for public restrooms. My precocious little daughter was one of these particular types. I'm sure my husband enjoyed the movie in a state of blissful peace and quiet!

May the Force Continue to be with us All.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....  This reminds me of the years we spent going out to dinner with my sister and her family.  Her kids knew the exact location of the restroom in every restaurant we ate in.  And made a bee-line for it the minute we walked in the front door of the establishment.  Very funny memories!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Yep, I know that one all too well.  :)

Ana

Anonymous said...

I hope you went back to the drive-in to see The Empire Strikes Back. What an awesome venue to see that movie. Ahhh yes how well I remember that wonderful makeout... umm movie venue. Actually I SAW some wonderful movies there and have some terrific memories of "sneaking into the drive-in" or parking at the edge of a drive-in movie theater and watching a movie without the sound. A girlfriend, and pal from way back, and I used to park near a local drive-in and make up the dialogue to movies showing. What fun! Sometimes the owner would actually drive around the area and chase us off! What a blast from the past. Thanks for the memory dusting.

My love can absolutely attest to the whole bathroom issue. But as we have both admitted, when a toddler is being toilet trained desperate parents will do ANYTHING to get that child off those dreaded, and spendy diapers.

Here's my weekend assignment, please come on over and compare. Has to do with my daughter as well. Ah the bonding power of the popular media! Toodles.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1182
StarWars