Saturday, August 6, 2005

A Little Introspection

What an emotional week this has been! I learned a long time ago that no one is indispensable and life at work always manages to continue quite nicely when any employee decides to depart for one reason or another. From the moment I gave my two weeks' notice, I have been astounded by the outpouring of good wishes and hopes for good luck from so many people. What's even nicer is that I believe them all to be sincere in their sentiments. I'm not exactly sure what I expected when I announced my plans for departure but, certainly, it was nothing like this.

I keep sensing this underlying feeling that a lot of people have been wondering why it's taken me so long to make my move and branch out into something else. All these kind wishes and words of bonhomie are going to serve me well as much needed psychological bolstering when I soon find myself in the unenviable position of "new kid on the block" and "low man on the totem pole", etc. After being at the top of my present position for such a long time, the view from the bottom looking up is going to be a totally different perspective. Well, I was in such a place almost nine years ago and I guess it won't kill me to return to that place. Life is full of new beginnings and adventures and these are what help to keep us interested and interesting. It's more than a bit daunting to leave the known and comfortable to venture out to the unknown. I'm nervous and a bit apprehensive with a huge dose of excited anticipation thrown into the mix. This is exactly what an almost 52 year old lady in hormonal upheavel needs to keep her hand in the game (of life).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny (to me) to read your philosophy on the new job.  I think it's absolutely the greatest thing for YOU.  But, for THIS fifty-year-old lady...well, I've been through that wringer so many times, it would be the LAST thing that I'd look forward to doing again!  LOL!  I have no doubt that you'll do fantastically well at the new job.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling well...too well.  Once again, good luck.