Thursday, August 25, 2005

Tag, I'm It!

I seem to remember something about being tagged to share my love of reading.  Thank you, Lisa.  Here we go:

Books have played an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. I come from a family of bookworms and a house that had so many shelves of books that it resembled a small library. For the longest time I thought everyone's house was the same. Sadly, I discovered this was not so and some homes had nothing more than a TV Guide and perhaps the daily newspaper for reading material. It was a real eye opener.

I love reading books for entertainment; I resent books that are assigned to me to read. I hated the selections of "classic literature" that were thrust upon me in high school. The most notable standouts of those detested books were "The Scarlett Letter" and "The Sound and The Fury". The exercise of having to wade through those books was pure torture. I don't think this is the way to instill the love of reading into those who have yet to discover the joy of books. Books are my friends. When I was a very little girl, everyone in my house was always sitting somewhere with their face in a book or so it seemed to me. Even before I could read, I'd get myself a book, crawl up into a big, comfortable chair and read too. Little matter if the book was right side up or upside down; I was reading, wasn't I?

My worst reading habit is that I'm more inclined to reread the books I love rather than try something new. I never buy books new so it's always a long time before I read books which appear on the bestseller's list and remain there for ages. I only just recently read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" which I enjoyed thoroughly. Next I read "The Secret Life of Bees" which is a wonderful story and one of those books you "experience" as well as read. I recommend it highly. My literary choices are probably absurdly light but I read to relax, decompress and escape. I have no wish for deep tomes of literary depth. I adore everything by Rosamund Pilcher; most notably "The Shell Seekers", "Coming Home" and "Winter Solstice". She writes of people and places you want to know and see. Literary magic. I love the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. I love the novels of Anya Seton, especially "Katherine", "Avalon", "Green Darkness", and "The Winthrop Woman". I enjoy historical novels very much. Then, of course, there are the timeless books from L. M. Montgomery. Everyone is familiar with "Anne of Green Gables" but the entire series which follows her life, subsequent family and involvement in WWI is marvelous. I was weaned on these books and as they originally belonged to my mother who read and reread them and then passed them on to my two older sisters, by the time I began to read them they were literally "read to pieces" and falling apart. Can a book have a greater legacy than that? Everyone knows the "Anne" books. There is a series of three books about "Emily" too. A completely different kind of woman and a wondrous read.  In fact, if I had to choose one book to take with me to some deserted island it would be "The Blue Castle" by this same author.  It is my all-time favorite story and I've probably read it at least twenty times if not more.   

I love "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. I love books that I read, think and dream about. I don't read bodice-rippers. I don't usually read books to improve my mind. A guilty pleasure is reading Stephen King novels. I enjoy reading them but I never like to see the movies made from them with the exception of "Carrie" which I think is a great film. Right on, Carrie. You go girl!, but I do feel sorry for the sympathetic gym teacher. I have a very fond memory of the first time I read "Gone With the Wind" at a rather young age. Advice from my big sisters: when you get bored, skip to the the word "Scarlett" and things will pick up. Well, wasn't that the truth and it took me about two more reads to not skip one line or page of the book. Great book, good movie; the sequel written by I can't remember who was awful.

I have a very personal favorite novel. "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry. This was recommended to me by a friend who had already read it and suggested that we read it together. We did this from opposite sides of the country but regardless, it was a wonderful experience and I found this to be a great story. It was a bit slow to get into but I was riveted once things got going. This was one of the nicest reading experiences of my life. There are so many more books I've enjoyed; sometimes I spend time reading what my husband calls, "crazy woman books" which sounds funny but I know just what he means. I think I like to read these books for much the same reason as people like to watch soap operas. No matter what's happening in your life, the lives of the people in these books or on these shows is so much worse that it's a comfort in written or visual affirmation that your life is so much better and happier.

Note to Lisa who tagged me. I, too, love "In This House of Brede". Outside of my family, you are the first person I've ever come in contact with who knows this book. It is a very special, wonderful book.  I think I'll dig it out and read it again very soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RE: In This House of Brede:  Did you ever see the made-for-tv-movie they made from the book?  It starred Dianna Rigg (Mrs. Peele from "The Avengers") as Philippa.  I only saw it once, and I remember thinking it wasn't really very good.  god knows what year it was filmed in...

I much prefer the Audrey Hepburn film of "The Nun's Story."  Very true to the book.

Now I have to go off and start reading some of the things you have mentioned here.  I have a feeling that our tastes in literature are very similar.  Lisa  :-]