Friday, August 12, 2005

Weekend Assignment #72: The Ultimate Battle


Weekend Assignment #72: Which is better -- cake or pie? Explain your reasoning. Will you choose the moist sponginess and frosting-topped goodness of cake? Or will you side with those flaky crust-adoring, fruit-filling fanatics of the pie nation? You must choose one -- and only one! No trying to suggest that Boston Creme Pie is really kind of like a cake, or how cheesecake is actually not unlike a pie. Take a stand! Be true to your pastry orientation!

Dessert, in general, is not usually an option among my personal food groups. I like sweet things well enough; I just prefer to spend my daily calorie intake elsewhere. My preference is cake over pie. There are plenty of types and flavors of cake I like very much. My very favorite for a long time has been the cake I make every St. Patrick's Day when we always have a party, be it big or small. I make a chocolatey, spirited concoction called Irish Whiskey Cake for the grand dessert finale served with or without Irish Coffee. Regardless of the wonderful St. Patrick's Day traditional treats we always provide, I know in my heart of hearts that guests really show up in high hopes of a slice of this cake. Over the past few years this same cake has also been my son's official Birthday Cake of choice! It is to die for.

 

Extra Credit: Having chosen cake or pie, now admit your favorite variety of the dessert you did not choose. So if you chose cake, tell us your favorite pie. Prefer pie? Tell us your favorite cake.

Over the years of my marriage I have learned how to make a decent pie with homemade crust because I married a pie fan. It's been one of the greater challenges of my homemaking career but I'm pleased to report I've arrived to the point of producing a pie he always deems "the best ever". High praise from an east coast boy whose mother was a consummate baker. I have come to enjoy an occasional slice of pie and my favorite is strawberry rhubarb. This is my favorite kind of pie to make as well. The filling under the lattice top crust seems to sparkle like a rare jewel as the pie rests on the counter to cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd tolerate the occasional potato famine to have constant exposure to Irish Whiskey Cake.