Monday, April 25, 2005

Bathroom Antics

I’ve seen the signs for some time now and I can’t deny it any longer. It’s true; our cat is a bathroom junkie. What is it about bathrooms that cats find so fascinating? Sure, there’s lots of activity going on in there and we spend a considerable amount of time in there. There are certain times of the day when cats like to hang out with their humans. I guess they figure the bathroom’s as good a place as any.

So much to investigate, such mysterious goings-on. The expression on Finn’s face as his head moves to follow the swirl of water being flushed down the toilet is a study in pure concentration. Water flowing from the tap into the sink is his personal waterfall and evidently few things taste better than toothpaste flavored water left at the bottom of the sink when I’ve finished brushing. A saunter into the shower stall provides a more substantial drink of water. Don’t tell me cats don’t like to get their feet wet; I won’t believe it! Upon exiting, he’s all refreshed to do battle with his nemesis, the bath mat. Our little world is safe for another day.

When my husband begins to shave in the morning, up jumps his personal four-footed shaving attendant. He watches the entire process intently, seated at his elbow the whole time, occasionally sticking his face down into the sink to bat at the discarded drifts of shaving cream. I’m sure he wonders why he can’t readily pick them up and then they get rinsed away. Drat! Where’d they go? Finn’s not too sure about the shaving brush either and considers it a threat to the universe as well. If the opportunity arises, he’ll make off with it in a speedy manner to prevent future menace from it. Now it’s my turn and our versatile kitty switches gears to become my beauty consultant. He oversees my choice of makeup, helpfully picks out eyebrow and liner pencils, pick combs and such and then moves in closer to the mirror to make sure I haven’t missed a spot.

It’s so amusing and quite endearing. I’ve seen enough pictures to know that this bathroom fascination isn’t unique to our cat. Finnegan is the third cat I’ve had the pleasure of sharing space with and he is the only one who’s shown an interest in these daily activities. It surely does liven up the early morning routine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute he must be!  Our little hellions don't get the pleasure of attending our daily toilette, since they aren't allowed in the bedroom during the night.  With eight cats and a dog, I have to draw the line somewhere!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

My cat Amiot used to know how to flush the toilet. She would flush it over and over again just to watch the water swirl down.