Friday, April 8, 2005

A Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #54: Tell us all a single piece of wisdom you've learned from personal life experience.

Learn to listen to and go with your initial gut feeling when confronted with a new situation; it will prove right 99% of the time.

I learned this lesson when I interviewed for a secretarial position when I moved across the country.  I didn't like the man who interviewed me and who would be my boss; however, the pay was good, I needed a job and I accepted.  Of all my jobs in the secretarial field, this was the only one I hated and one of my happiest days was my last day of work for this particular company, in the employ of this man.  I should have listened to that little voice that rumbles up from our very innards!

Extra Credit: Tell us: Would you have listened to your own bit of advice as a teenager? Be honest, now.

Hell no.  Everyone has to live through their own experiences and learn to remember and apply them as part of life's lessons.  This is what life is all about.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That advice can be a literal life saver.  Read the book the Gift of Fear...it teaches to NEVER ignore your gut...

http://journals.aol.com/hestiahomeschool/HomeschoolingJournal

Anonymous said...

I have ignored that same gut feeling so many times in my life, especially when it comes to job situations, that I probably wouldn't recognize it any more if it bit me in the ass.  That is probably why I'm self-employed.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Evert time I go with my gut, I end up eating a cheese tray or something.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Advice? ya i got advice.....LISTEN TO YOUR HEART THEN TO YOUR FRIENDS! trust me i learned the hard way.  


And i am a teenager and i can honestly tell you that NO ONE listens toANY advice at this age.


~katy~ 13 yrs old

Anonymous said...

My grandmother says the best advice she ever got on childrearing (and she raised eleven) was to listen carefully to experienced mothers...and then ignore them all and go with your heart.  :-)
Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah....you gotta pay attention to your gut feelings !!!  Especially when it comes to men.  I had a feeling that he was on internet dating sites and well, after my search, he was, when I confronted him, he said he was just looking, then he said he only did it as a joke with his friends, then he said that his friends did it to play a joke on him, all of this in a weeks time and three separate phone calls.  The last gut feeling was that he was still doing it and talking to other women online, penpals, IM's and such, I found proof that he was and I have also found rock solid proof that he is a member of some International Dating/Mail Order Bride/Penpal thing on the internet, and is paying for women's email addresses !!!  When I confronted him about it he said I didnt know what I was talking about and that I was full of it.  Well, my proof is rock solid and thats all Im gonna say bout how I got it.  BUT, I will never ignore my gut feeling, I never have and never will.....

Anonymous said...

Yeah you are probably right on that ,but try to give your kids some of your knowledge ,and they still are going to do what they want to!