Sunday, April 24, 2005

Journal Jar Questions and Answers Continued, No. 25 through 37

Question 25~ Our grandparents   Did you have a close relationship with your grandparents?  Tell about them.

I never knew either of my grandfathers. Both were deceased before I was born. I only saw my dad’s mother a couple of times. She lived across the country from us but I don’t remember much about her. She was a big (not fat), tall woman, Danish, and to differentiate between her and my mother’s mother, we call her "Beste" which was short for Bedstemor which is Danish for grandmother.

My maternal grandmother lived in Florida and we were visited by her on a more regular basis. She was not the jovial, full-bosomed, cookie-baking kind of grandma but she taught me how to play canasta at a tender age and her stories of growing up in the Bahamas were fascinating. I recall a very special day when she took me to New York City by train to spend the entire day. She was outspoken (as so many older people are) but retained a keen mind and a sharp wit until the end of her days.

Question 26 ~ Downtown

Describe a trip downtown as a youngster.

One of my most memorable visits downtown was the day my oldest sister took me into New York City to see the musical, "Man of La Mancha". It was sometime in February and I must’ve been 13 or 14 years old. It was the first time I ever saw a professional show and it was thrilling. The title role was played by John Cullum and when I saw him in later years as "Holling" on "Northern Exposure", I always felt this secret kinship with him (I know you; I’ve seen you and you’re awesome). That day was cold and snowy but we had a great day together.

One of my most memorable visits downtown was the day my oldest sister took me into New York City to see the musical, "Man of La Mancha". It was sometime in February and I must’ve been 13 or 14 years old. It was the first time I ever saw a professional show and it was thrilling. The title role was played by John Cullum and when I saw him in later years as "Holling" on "Northern Exposure", I always felt this secret kinshipwith him (I know you; I’ve seen you and you’re awesome). That day was cold and snowy but we had a great day together.

One of my most memorable visits downtown was the day my oldest sister took me into New York City to see the musical, "Man of La Mancha". It was sometime in February and I must’ve been 13 or 14 years old. It was the first time I ever saw a professional show and it was thrilling. The title role was played by John Cullum and when I saw him in later years as "Holling" on "Northern Exposure", I always felt this secret kinship with him (I know you; I’ve seen you and you’re awesome). That day was cold and snowy but we had a great day together.

question 27 ~ World event

What do you feel has been the most significant world event that has taken place during your lifetime and why?

A difficult, thought-provoking question. There have been so many. I suppose I would pick the events that occurred on September 11, 2001. For the longest time it was hard to believe that these horrible things really happened even as I was looking at it in the repetitive news coverage. It turned this country upside down and demonstrated than even with a huge ocean between us, we’re not safe from those who mean us such devastating harm. Suddenly we were all fearful and vulnerable. If it happened once, it could happen again. But where? There’s no safe place anywhere on this planet; perhaps there never was but I think we Americans felt reasonably complacent. No longer.

Question 28 ~ living differently

If you could live your life over, what would you do differently?

Another toughie! Two in a row. I have a great life. I’m very happy living within it. If I could begin life over again, I’d want to be more outgoing, more assertive and more adventurous. I’d start a 401K plan earlier in my working career (but these weren’t available when I began work) and I’d take Spanish instead of French for my foreign language class in high school. And of course, if I could go back and start over knowing what I know now, that would be the best thing of all.

question 29 ~ housework

What household jobs do you like and dislike the most?

I don’t mind doing laundry. I love hanging clothes out on the line in the warm weather. They smell like sunshine and fresh air when I take them back down, fold them and put them in the basket. I loathe dusting and must admit that I hardly ever do it. We live in one of the dust bowls of the west. Whether I dust once a month or twice a week, surfaces look the same. Lastly, I’ve had a self-cleaning oven for a long time but back in the days when I didn’t, cleaning the oven was the worst job of all!

question 30 ~ oh I luv the rainy nights

Do you like rain storms?  Do you have any memories connected with rain or storms?

Rain storms are great; the wilder the better as long as I’m safe and sound in my own home or elsewhere. The sound of rain falling makes a beautiful lullaby to listen to while drifting off to sleep.

Several years ago my husband and I spent a weekend at an inn near the coast. It was January and there was a wild storm with lots of wind, thunder and lightning going on one of those nights. It was the perfect backdrop to an evening of love-filled intensity. Thunderstorms and lovemaking are a wonderful combination.

Question 31 ~ Military

Did you serve in the military?  Where and when? Share an experience.

I’ve never served in the military and couldn’t possibly imagine myself in that capacity. I have the utmost feeling of awe and respect for the men and women who have served our country in the past and those who serve currently. I am very grateful for their bravery and commitment.

Question 32 ~ wow 32 already!

What is your favorite animal and why?

I like a lot of different animals but my very favorite is the river otter. They are cuteness personified, smart, playful, oh so graceful in the water and they just look as if they’re having the time of their lives. I’ve seen them in captivity but never in the wild. They probably keep far away from man and for their sake, I hope so.

Question 33

What political party comes closest to representing your own view?  How do you feel about politics?

I don’t follow politics or understand its workings very well. I think it’s much too complicated and I’m sure our entire governmental system needs a major overhaul.

Question 34 ~ secrets!!

What are your beauty secrets?

I don’t think these are secrets, more like practices. I never use soap on my face. I try very hard to never go to bed without thoroughly removing all makeup and I rarely use any makeup on my days off from work to give my skin a rest.

question 35 ~ babysitters

Did your parents ever have a baby-sitter for you?  Were you ever left in someone else's care.

I had a brother and two sisters much older than I so one or two or all three looked after me when my parents took off somewhere. It wasn’t bad, they were very good to me but it was just like having three extra parents in the house.

Question 36 ~ school

Did you have a favorite subject in school?  One you dreaded?

In grade school, my favorite subject was English and all it encompassed: reading, writing, vocabulary, spelling, grammar. I suffered through all arithmetic and math classes throughout school. They were all an exercise in mental torture that had to be endured. I hated math and was, and still am, terrible at it. In high school, my favorite subjects were business related classes: typing, stenography, general office practice. The best class of all was choir but I never thought of that as a "subject" even though we were graded. It was a daily pleasure to participate in that class.

Question 37 ~ smells

What are some of your favorite smells?

Ah, there are so many. My favorite smells include freshly brewed coffee in the morning, bacon frying, onion and garlic sauteed in olive oil, that "spicy" smell that real carnations carry, lavender, purple iris (they smell like candy), hyacinths (they smell like Easter), newly mown grass, Irish Spring soap, my husband.



 






 

 


No comments: