Monday, April 18, 2005

More Questions and Answers from The Journal Jar

Now that I'm well into these questions, I'm compelled to catch up.  Here are some more answers:

Question 19 ~ Weddings

Describe your mother's wedding dress.  What do you know about her wedding?

My mother did not get married wearing a traditional wedding dress. In fact, I’ve never seen anything close to an actual wedding picture of my parents. Considering how close I was to them, what I know about their wedding day is amazingly scarce. This is very strange to me.

Question 20

What do you think of TV and what is your favorite show?

There are lots of informative, interesting programs on TV but I consider most of the prime time stuff to be a complete wasteland for the mind. The only new show I’ve been following regularly is "Battlestar Galactica" but more because I’m still searching for a replacement for "Star Trek, The Next Generation" in my heart of hearts rather than a genuine love of the program. The only other programs I watch on a semi-regular basis each weekend are the Sherlock Holmes Mysteries (Jeremy Brett) and Poirot (David Suchet). None of them are new (more’s the pity; I know Mr. Brett is deceased). The same programs are shown around and around but occasionally one comes up I’ve never seen before and that’s a treat.

I could live very well without TV but leave me the screen so I can use my VCR and DVD player. Movies are what I enjoy the most.

 

Question 21 ~ Trick or treat!

Did you celebrate Halloween as a child?  What costumes did you wear?

Yes, I did. Halloween was right up there jockeying with my birthday for second best holiday of the year. My mother always created my costumes when I was small. Two of the creations I dressed up as were a devil and a little Dutch girl. Halloween was always best when it fell on a Friday or Saturday.

Question 22  Sweet children?!

What did you do as a child to get in trouble with your parents and how did they handle it?

I must’ve been an incredibly boring child because I don’t recall every getting into major trouble with my folks. I do recall being a bit of a pill sometimes and responding to requests from my parents to do something with a whining, "do I have to?" I regret this very much and wish I’d never acted this way.

The worst thing I ever did was when I was in second grade. Valentine’s Day was approaching and in those days each child gave a little valentine to all the children in their class. I kept pestering my mother to get me some and as the day for the party at school got closer and I still had none, I panicked. I discovered a box full of Valentines my dad had sent my mother over the years. I decided to take matters into my own hands and figured these would do as well as anything from a store. I proceeded to cut them up into small cards to pass around. My mother was horrified when she discovered what I had one and rightly so. Evidently whatever happened after that was so horrendous, it’s been erased from my memory permanently and I’m sure that’s a good thing!

Question 23 ~ Marriage AGAIN?

How do you feel about Marriage?

I think marriage is like children; it’s not for everyone. I have nothing but good thoughts abut marriage. I was raised in the security of a solid, loving marriage and just naturally assumed I would grow up and enjoy the same. I’ve been married almost 31 years and it’s been a great ride. Both husband and wife have to be willing to compromise throughout their marriage or its success doesn’t stand a chance.

How do I feel about my marriage? I love it. I never wanted much more in life than someone to love me completely and absolutely despite mistakes I make, flaws, sickness or whatever happens to me. I must have done something wonderful in a previous life because that’s the kind of husband I married.

Question 24 ~ Car trouble?

Tell about a frustrating experience you have had with a car.

Depending upon how old you are determines how many frustrating experiences you’ve had with cars. I’ve had several. I dealt with car problems very recently but when I first read this question, the one that came to mind was this. I was driving to work one morning and the clutch pedal fell off. Oh my! We had just bought this brand new AMC Gremlin (can you believe that?) and it just fell off! I was very young and I’m sure I panicked big time. Obviously, it got repaired well enough because we drove that car across the country when we moved to CA.




 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Halloween when I was a kid.  Loved it so much, in fact, that I purposely got married in October so I would have a special day to celebrate during that montheven after I was an adult.  Wanted to be married on Oct. 30th, but the hall wasn't available that weekend, so we ended up with the 16th.  Oh well...we got close, anyway.  Lisa  :-]