Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Five More Answers

I want to get these questions and answers caught up so I can deal with each new one as it appears in a more leisurely fashion.  Here are five more Journal Jar questions:

Question 14 -   Precious belongings   Are there any family heirlooms in your possession?  Tell about them and how you acquired them.

We have several nice old pieces from my husband’s side of the family. We have a cradle which was originally a child’s bed that dates back to the late 1700's. We have a beautiful pie cupboard, a corner cabinet and a curious piece called a "doughboy". Nothing to do with Pillsbury here; it’s a rectangular trough on four legs with a removable cover. Very curious item. We have a beautiful cherry wood dining room table which goes back to 1848.

I have a beautiful set of Beleek china displayed in another corner cupboard of my dining room. It belonged to my mother and she told me that if I married my Irish beau she would give it to me. I did and now have this lovely set of dishes which I would never dream of using but they are lovely to look at.

Question 15 - Our parents went to.....?

What church jobs have your parents had?  What do you remember about your parents and church?

My parents went to church dutifully when we were growing up and towed us all along as well. I don’t recall either of them having a job in the church. My mother was a member of the choir for years and she gathered pine branches and made beautiful wreaths for the church’s annual "Greens Sale" fund- raiser. She taught me how to make one and I remember using a wire hanger that had been bent into a circle for my first one.

Question 16.... Hanging out.

Did you have a childhood "hangout" or "hideout"?  Describe it.

No, but I always thought it would be real nifty to have one.

Question 17 ~ Picnics!

Do you like picnics?  Have you been on any picnics that stick out in your mind?

I don’t believe I’ve ever been on an actual picnic. All summer long we "picnic" on the back deck by which I mean we eat all our dinners (weather permitting) outdoors on a picnic table. Years of camping and eating all meals outdoors was like one long picnic. The classic picnic with a basket full of goodies, cloth spread out on the ground and ants in attendance I have yet to experience–I think I’d enjoy it!

Questions 18 ~ Just a word

ONE WORD on how to live successfully....

Patience



 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE your ONE WORD:  OMG!  Looks like I'll never be a success!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am envious at all the heirlooms. We have many from my hubby side, but none so nice as that. Both of my parent's homes burned to the ground (ten years apart!) so there will be no heirlooms from that side of the family forthcoming...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did not know that cradle was still about!! If I had known, I would have asked to use it for my little one...perhaps the next ( if ever there is one!)