Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Three More Questions and Answers from The Journal Jar...and now I'm caught up!

Question 38 ~ Happy Birthday! Tell about any of your family traditions for birthdays.
When I was a little child I didn't have the traditional little kid parties with games, party favors, balloons and lots of little children running about the place.  This was not my mother's cup of tea and she always contended that the six of us in our immediate family plus my aunt and uncle (who lived nearby) were enough people for a birthday celebration.  She always made a special dinner, baked a beautiful Birthday Cake and there were lots of presents.    When I got a little older, Mother and Daddy took me, just me, out to dinner at a nice restaurant which made for a very special evening.  I never felt deprived from not having kiddie parties; I got my fill going to those of my friends.   When I started my own family and my first child's first birthday came around, I made a carrot cake and we had a quiet little celebration at home...just us three.  For many a year, I was under the mistaken impression that carrot cake was so much healthier than the more usual birthday cake.  I think I was still making that cake when my son celebrated his first birthday...eleven years later.  It is to laugh!  That was a long time ago.       Question 39 ~ Movies What do you think about movies and why?

I love movies but they sure don't make them like they used to.  Movies today are thrilling with their spectacular special effects but so many of them have little substance.  I prefer older movies.  I think movies have become too graphic, leave precious little to the imagination and I deplore the awful language that permeates almost every film...enough already!

I love to see movies in a theater but I rarely do because it costs too much and when I go it's always to the matinee.  I wait to see it on video or DVD.  It may take a while but eventually I get around to seeing what I want to.  I love to take myself out to the movies and do so on a rare occasion.  It's wonderful, just the film and me in a dark theater; no distractions and I can let the story carry me away. 

 

Question 40 ~ Lets eat! Where do you eat out and what do you order?

We don't eat out much any more.  We realized that we could eat much better at home for a lot less a long time ago.  One day it dawned on me that the best part of eating out was not having to buy, make, serve dinner and clean up afterwards.  I could just get up and walk away from the mess.  Every once in a while that's a great thing to do.  We eat at a fast food joint about once a year...sometime during Christmas shopping. 

Of course, we go to a local Chinese restaurant occasionally and order Family Happiness (a little bit of everything to please everyone), Kung Pao Chicken (spicy), Broccoli Beef, extra rice and, of course, sake.  In the event we end up in an upscale restaurant, I almost always end up ordering Prime Rib.



 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heartily agree with your assessment of current movies.  The graphic sex/violence, the language, the shock value that's supposed to make you forget there is no plot.  Give me an old (thirties through sixties) movie any day...  Lisa  :-]