Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Playing "Ketchup" in the Journal Jar

Question 5 - scouts anyone?   Did you belong to girl/boy scouts?  Tell something about that?  

I was a Brownie, the first rung of the Girl Scout ladder. Our meetings were held in the large hall above the fire department building in town. I still remember my two leaders’ names and many of the games we played. At the close of each weekly meeting, we gathered in a circle and sang "Taps". I loved being a Brownie and got as far as "flying up" to become a Girl Scout. We moved soon after and there were no scouting groups active in my new surroundings so that was the end of that.

Question 6 ~ life with others

Did you have a roommate?  What was that person like?  What did you learn about living with other people besides your own family?

I never shared a place with a roommate. I went from sleeping in my own bedroom in my parent’s house one night to sharing one with my new husband on our wedding night the next. No problems; we knew each other very well by this point.

Question 7 ~ all alone! What is your favorite thing to do when you are alone in your home?  

If I can manage to tear myself away from the computer, my favorite thing to do is to pick a favorite movie that no one else in my family particularly wants to see, settle down all comfy cozy and watch it with, hopefully, no interruptions.

Question 8 ~ Hope and dreams

What are your dreams, hopes and expectations for your children?

I have dreams and hopes for my children but for the most part I leave my expectations up to them. I brought them up to the best of my ability and it’s up to them to discover and achieve their dreams and goals on their own. I hope they’ll have happy, healthy lives and I dream (desire) that they are happy I have given them the opportunity to experience this wonderful, complex thing we call life.

Question 9 ~ Talk to me   Do you speak any other languages?  What are they?  Have you ever taken classes to try to learn another language?  

No, I don’t. I took two years of French in high school long ago and never developed a knack for it.

Question 10 ~ let is snow!   Did it snow where you grew up?  What did you do in the snow?

We got lots of snow where I grew up and few things were more wonderful than hearing those magic words, "school is cancelled because of snow and dangerous road conditions" on the radio station. Whoopie! This always meant complete freedom to play out in the snow all day long. Building snow forts and having snowball fights were always fun but the best thing was sledding.

Several times the rural road on which I lived got so completely inaccessible due to snowdrifts despite efforts from the snow plows that we could sled down the hill from my house as much as we wanted and never have to worry about oncoming cars. Yes, the snow was lots of fun until I finished school and discovered that work was never cancelled on account of snow.

   

 

 


 

 

 


 

 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<I brought them up to the best of my ability and it’s up to them to discover and achieve their dreams and goals on their own.>

Refreshing to see a parent with this attitude.  A lot of the moms out there in journal land seem to be having a really hard time letting go.  Lisa  :-]